Being retired doesn’t mean you have to slow down. In fact, most seniors discover that retirement provides the time and freedom to explore new interests and rediscover hobbies they’ve always enjoyed.
At Vista Grande Villa, our residents enjoy a variety of activities that allow them to explore new interests, stay physically active, and enhance their cognitive abilities while enjoying themselves and building friendships.
Benefits of Pursuing Hobbies in Retirement
When seniors participate in meaningful activities it can have a positive impact on their health by:
1. Improving mental health. A hobby that brings you joy and a sense of purpose can help increase feelings of happiness and reduce the risk for depression or loneliness.
2. Boosting brain health. Engaging in new activities and hobbies, like playing an instrument or learning a new language, can help promote lifelong learning and strengthen cognitive skills.
3. Decreasing risk of chronic conditions. Hobbies like walking or gardening can help keep you physically active while reducing your risk for serious health conditions, like heart disease, diabetes, and dementia.
4. Increasing social connections. Many hobbies can be enjoyed in the company of others, like card games, group fitness, or arts and crafts. Staying connected to others in retirement, especially seniors with similar interests, can help combat social isolation and loneliness.
Hobbies For All Types of Interests
Whether you are currently retired, or retirement is in your near future, you should begin thinking about the activities and hobbies that satisfy your interests. If you live in a senior living community, you already have the upper hand. At Vista Grande Villa, our residents can participate in a wide range of onsite activities designed to enrich their lives and enhance their overall health. Need help deciding which hobbies would fit your lifestyle? Consider the following:
Get physically active.
The older you get, the more important exercise becomes. Making physical health a priority during retirement is a great use of your time—and it can be fun too! If you like exercising in a group setting, consider taking a group fitness class with other seniors. Low-impact workouts, such as walking, swimming, and yoga are also fun and effective ways to get more movement into your daily life.
Volunteer your time.
With more time to give, consider volunteering as a meaningful way to make a difference in the lives of people in your community. Start by contacting local churches, animal shelters, hospitals, and schools for volunteer opportunities in your area.
Join a club.
Whether it’s reading, walking, or card playing, clubs can be tailored to specific interests or genres, making them an excellent opportunity for seniors to connect with like-minded people. At Vista Grande Villa residents have a multitude of opportunities to engage in resident-planned activities, classes, events, and outings that cultivate community connections.
Discover a Community of Opportunity at Vista Grande Villa
At Vista Grande Villa, we believe that retirement is an incredible opportunity to learn—or relearn—a favorite pastime that brings you joy. Here, we offer a variety of exciting activities, programs, clubs, social events, and more to help older adults find hobbies that resonate with their interests and capabilities. Popular activities within our community include:
- Wood craft shop complete with a drill press, jig saw, miter saw, router, lathe, table saw, belt sander, scroll saw, and more!
- Gardening around the 22-acre campus, including raised beds and greenhouses.
- Hobby room with space for quilting, scrapbooking, painting, and drawing.
- Active resident choir led by our local professional director.
- Various weekly card games and billiard lounge to enjoy with friends and neighbors.
- Computer lab with four stations for residents’ use.
- Fitness room fully-equipped with NuStep, Nordi-Track, stationary bike, treadmill and free weights.
Schedule a visit to our community for a tour, meet our staff, and learn more about our vibrant list of activities and events!