As we age, our immune systems begin to naturally decline. As a result, older adults are more prone to battling illnesses and infections. When you have a weakened immune system, something as simple as the common cold or the flu can be very dangerous.
Thankfully, there are some simple steps seniors can take to help boost their immune systems and help their bodies fight diseases. Keep reading to learn more about how to make your immune system stronger as we enter the fall and winter seasons.
Common Signs of a Weak Immune System
Always talk to your doctor if you have questions or concerns about your health. You may have a week immune system if you have any of the following symptoms:
- Constantly sick or feeling ill
- Slow healing
- Frequent infections
- Digestive problems
8 Ways to Strengthen Your Immune System
1. Get adequate sleep. Sleep revitalizes and restores the body, which makes getting a restful night’s sleep vital to your immune health. It’s generally recommended that adults aim for seven to nine hours of quality sleep each night for optimal wellness.
2. Focus on good nutrition. A healthy diet is key to a healthy body, no matter your age. The aging body needs essential nutrients, vitamins, proteins, and minerals to keep the immune system strong. Start by making small changes to your diet, like adding fruit and vegetables to every meal and eating less processed foods. You can still enjoy an occasional sweet treat, just make sure that sugars and saturated fats aren’t making up the bulk of your diet.
3. Drink plenty of water. Alongside getting proper nutrients through foods, stay hydrated by drinking sufficient water each day. Water aids in the absorption of nutrients and minerals, as well as the elimination of waste in the body.
4. Consider taking supplements. Certain vitamins like vitamin C, are proven to help your immune system fight off illnesses. Always talk to your doctor before adding supplements into your routine.
5. Maintain proper hygiene. There are many reasons to practice good personal hygiene, and to stop the spread of illness and reduce germs is one of them. You can maintain good personal hygiene by washing your hands, bathing regularly, brushing your teeth, and regularly cleaning your clothes and bed linens.
6. Move your body.
Being physically active keeps your body — and immune system — strong. Incorporating regular exercise into your daily routine will increase your muscles strength, improve your brain health, maintain a healthy weight, and increase mobility. Take a brisk walk, go swimming, or tend to your garden as fun and easy ways to move your body and add physical activity to your routine.
7. Connect with friends and family.
Studies link social isolation to a variety of mental and physical health issues, including a weakened immune system. Fortunately, there are many ways to expand your social circle at Vista Grande Villa. Join a book club, take a group fitness class, or volunteer with others to support a local charity—the opportunities are endless!
8. Reduce stress.
If you experience chronic stress, it can hinder your body’s ability to fight infections and inflammation. Inflammation is linked to many health problems like Alzheimer’s and heart disease, to name a few. To alleviate stress, set aside time to do things you find pleasant and relaxing, such as reading, visiting with your grandkids, or spending time outside.
An Immunity-Boosting Lifestyle at Vista Grande Villa
At Vista Grande Villa, we’re focused on making sure our residents have the support they need to achieve optimal health all year long. Here, a maintenance-free lifestyle frees residents from the stresses of housework and repairs. Our chef-prepared meals feature delicious and nutritious ingredients prepared daily to support your overall wellbeing. Our independent and group fitness classes, paved walking paths, and putting green offer ample opportunity to move your body and connect with others. And our on-campus Health Clinic and 24-hour emergency wellness checks are available for residents when they need it.
To learn more about our comprehensive approach to health and wellness, or to schedule a tour, contact Vista Grande Villa today!